Asia PacificWar

Dozens of Afghans killed in roadside bomb blast on road to Farah

Dozens of passengers, mainly women and children, were killed in western Afghanistan early Wednesday, July 31 when the bus they were traveling in hit a roadside bomb, officials said.

“A passenger bus traveling on the Kandahar-Herat highway hit a Taliban roadside bomb. So far at least 28 killed, 10 wounded,” said Muhibullah Muhib, the spokesperson for Farah province.

All were civilians, mostly women and children, he said. Farooq Barakzai, a spokesperson for Farah’s governor, confirmed the toll but warned it may rise higher.

There was no immediate confirmation from the Taliban that it was behind the attack.

It came one day after the United Nations said civilians are being killed and wounded at a “shocking” level in Afghanistan’s war, despite a push to end the nearly 18-year-old conflict.

Casualties have dropped 27 percent in the first half of 2019 compared to the same period last year, which was a record, but nonetheless 1,366 civilians were killed and another 2,446 injured. The U.N. Assistance Mission in Afghanistan branded efforts to reduce the violence “insufficient.”

It also said that U.S. and pro-government forces caused more civilian deaths than the Taliban, Islamic State Khorasan Province and other insurgent groups for the second quarter running.

Child casualties represented almost one-third of the overall total of civilian casualties.

The bloodshed comes amid a months-long, U.S.-led push to forge a peace deal with the Taliban that would see foreign forces quit the country in return for various security guarantees.


With reporting from AFP

Tags
Show More

Related Articles