AfricaWar

US reviewing Somalia raid after reports of civilian casualties

The U.S. military’s Africa Command said Friday it is reviewing a raid after locals reported that five civilians had been shot dead.

“U.S. forces, in an advise-and-assist capacity, partnered in a Somali-led operation to disrupt and degrade al-Shabaab’s terrorist network near Bulcida, Somalia, May 9,” Africom said in a statement. “We are aware of reports alleging civilian casualties resulting from this operation, and we take these reports seriously.”

Ali Mohamed Moalin, a traditional elder close to Afgoye in Lower Shabelle where the raid took place, said “two military helicopters” were involved as well as “some foreign special forces,” AFP reported.

“There are five dead bodies of innocent farmers who have been killed by the special forces last night,” Moalin said.

“Several other people were wounded, and three others taken alive in the helicopters,” he said.

“As with any allegations of civilian casualties we receive, U.S. Africa Command will review any information it has about the incident, including any relevant information provided by third parties,” Africom’s statement said. “If the information supporting the allegation is determined to be credible, USAFRICOM will determine the next appropriate step.”


With reporting from AFP

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

1 thought on “US reviewing Somalia raid after reports of civilian casualties”

  1. I’m in Mogadishu at this moment. The U.S. Amisom and SNA are doing a great job in undermining these terrorist militants, there is no doubt about that.
    I highly doubt there was civilian casualty, for the simple fact Al shabab do not act like a conventional army. They strike from amongst the civilian population and melt back in, time and time after again.
    If they didn’t have sympathisers then they would lose a lot of their operational capacity.
    From Mogadishu and the Somali people, thank you, U.S.A

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *