Africa

Kenya: Nairobi attackers ‘eliminated’ after 20-hour siege, 21 killed

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta said that all attackers who had stormed an upmarket hotel complex had been “eliminated” after an almost 20-hour siege that left at least 14 dead.

“I can confirm that … the security operation at Dusit complex is over and all the terrorists eliminated,” Kenyatta said in a televised address to the nation on Wednesday, January 16.

“As of this moment, we have confirmation that 14 innocent lives were lost to the … terrorists, with others injured.”

On Wednesday evening, police inspector general Joseph Boinnet said the death toll had increased to 21.

“We wish to inform that, as of this evening … six other bodies were found at the scene and one police officer succumbed very suddenly to his injuries,” Boinnet told reporters.

He said the death included 16 Kenyans, one Briton, one American and three people of “African descent who are yet to be identified.”

Kenyatta earlier said 700 people had been rescued throughout the siege.

He later said there were five attackers who were all killed.

CCTV footage broadcast on local media showed four black-clad, heavily armed men entering the complex on Tuesday afternoon.

At least one of them blew himself up at the start of the attack.

A police source said two attackers had been shot dead Wednesday morning after a prolonged shootout.

“The two have red bandanas tied around their forehead and bullets strapped around their chest with several magazines each,” the senior police officer said.

“Each had an AK47 which has been secured.”

The Somali militant group al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Kenya: Explosion and gunfire reported at Nairobi hotel and office complex


With reporting from AFP

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

1 thought on “Kenya: Nairobi attackers ‘eliminated’ after 20-hour siege, 21 killed”