At least two people were killed in an attack on a refugee camp in Sudan’s North Darfur state, a medical source told AFP late Monday, blaming the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The source at the Saudi hospital in the state capital, El-Fasher, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the attack on the Abu Shouk refugee camp also left seven wounded.
A volunteer aid group in El-Fasher had earlier reported “intense bombardments” at the camp and explosive drones flying over the city.
The RSF, led by Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, has been battling the military, led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, since April 2023.
The war has created what the United Nations describes as the world’s worst hunger and displacement crises.
More than 12 million people have been uprooted, tens of thousands killed, and a UN-backed assessment declared famine in parts of the country.
While the military has reclaimed the capital Khartoum in recent days, Africa’s third-largest country remains essentially divided in two.
The army holds sway in the east and north, while the RSF controls most of the vast Darfur region in the west and parts of the south.
El-Fasher is the only regional state capital the RSF has not conquered, despite besieging the city for months.
On Monday night, the paramilitaries announced they had killed scores of soldiers and driven the army out of the Khor al-Daleb region of South Kordofan state, near areas controlled by the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North, which has entered into an alliance with the RSF.